If you have a pet dog that suffers from seizure and epilepsy, it is one of the scariest things you could witness. You could end up feeling distraught and helpless. Do not let the fear take over and learn about ways that you can offer treatment and relief. The use of CBD oil for dog seizures is one of the best treatments available these days. Before you proceed with this treatment option, it pays to learn more about why it is the recommended treatment in the first place.
CBD Oil for Dog Seizures and Epilepsy
There are currently a number of treatment options and medications to treat epilepsy and seizures in dogs. However, CBD oil for dog seizures and epilepsy is the primary choice because it is a natural approach to treatment.
The use of CBD for treatment of seizures and epilepsy is nothing new. It targets the endocannabinoid system that is present in all mammals, including humans. This system is made up of a network of receptors that are responsible for regulating the functions of the body. It also synthesizes endocannabinoids in order to maintain homeostasis in the human body. When this homeostasis is interrupted by epilepsy, you can restore that balance with the use of CBD.
The main receptors of the human body are the CB1 and CB2 receptors. The CB1 receptor affects the brain and the nervous system. The CB2 receptors affect the regulatory cells of your immune system. The introduction of CBD into the system can benefit both types of receptors. When these receptors interact with the CBD, it calms the overactive neurons and controls symptoms of epilepsy such as seizures.
The same effect is to be expected of CBD use for dogs. The research on the use of CBD for dogs is still in its infancy, but there is enough anecdotal evidence to support its effectiveness as a treatment option. This is especially recommended when conventional treatment methods have failed.
Ideal CBD Oil Dosage for Dog Seizures
Once you have decided to use CBD for the treatment of seizures in dogs, the next step is to know the right dosage. The most important thing you must remember is that the dosage is not the same for all dogs that have seizures. Instead, each dog will require a unique dosage according to their body weight.
It is also important to take into account the existing health conditions that your dog might have, aside from epilepsy. Always read the bottle on your CBD oil product before you administer it to your dog. Some will require you to give the CBD twice daily while others require only once per day.
For dogs that have severe seizures, you might need to administer at least twice a day with higher doses. For some dogs, one dose per day should be enough. It is important to follow your vet’s advice on CBD oil dosage for dog seizures. It is also important to pay attention to how your dog responds to each dose so you can make the proper adjustments.
The general rule is that your dog must be at least 12 weeks old before you decide to give them CBD as treatment.
Benefits of Using CBD Oil for Dog Seizures
Why should you choose CBD for treating seizures in dogs? Aside from the fact that it is a natural treatment option, there are also numerous benefits that your pet can get from this treatment method.
- It targets the brain, nervous system and spinal system. All of these are areas that are affected when your dog experiences seizure attacks.
- It is made of natural ingredients – the hemp plant. Therefore, you should not expect any contraindications when using it for treatment.
- It can also help treat other conditions aside from seizures. CBD oil has been proven effective against anxiety, joint pain, cancer, allergies, and irritable bowel syndrome.
What to Do When Your Dog Has a Seizure
The use of CBD for dog seizures is only looked at as a way to manage the condition and its symptoms. It won’t treat epilepsy completely, so you have to know what to do when your dog has another seizure episode.
Here are some of the things that you need to do if your dog has a seizure:
- Keep calm. When you panic, it prevents you from being able to think clearly. It is important to remember that your dog is unconscious and won’t feel any pain.
- Keep track. Take note of the duration of the seizure attack. This will enable you to monitor the frequency and length of each seizure episode. It will also give you an idea if their seizure is improving or not.
- Stay informed. Read up on common symptoms associated with dog seizures. That way, you won’t have to worry if they exhibit symptoms that are completely normal for those suffering from seizures.
- Protect your dog. One of the greatest risks during a seizure attack is the possibility that your dog could hurt itself. Provide a cushion for your dog so they don’t bump their head against any hard surfaces. Keep them away from sharp corners or pointed objects too.
If your dog continues to exhibit any of these symptoms, or if the symptoms worsen over time, consider adjusting the dose. When you adjust the dose, make sure you do so gradually so that you can track the signs of improvement.
Is CBD the Right Option For Your Dog?
If you are a dog owner and you are in desperate need of treatment against dog seizures, your desperation could lead you to try any treatment option possible to treat your pet. CBD is a natural treatment so you don’t have to worry about major and adverse side effects – as long as you follow the right CBD oil dosage for dog seizures.
The current research on using CBD for dogs has shown positive results. If you have any doubts, speak to your vet first. It is also important to invest in high quality CBD oils to ensure the best possible results for your dog.